Friday, April 29, 2011

Psalm 73:21-28

 

“Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee. Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee. But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.”

These verses come after a discourse by Asaph on the prosperity of the wicked. How often do we envy the unrighteous, forgetting that the only pleasure they have is in this world? And that the Lord calls it “the prosperity of fools”(Proverbs 1:30-33)?! That God has promised that he sends the rain on the just as well as the unjust, and his sun will shine on the evil and good(Matthew 5:45)? We, when we thus envy such men, are just as foolish as Asaph was! We should not place our trust in circumstances (whether good or bad), or trust in the riches or good things of this world(Matthew 6:19-21); BUT trust in the almighty, sovereign, just and righteous hand of the LORD. We need to draw near to Him, and stop committing whoredom with this world!

We should give thanks in all things (1 Thessalonians 5:18) and remember all that the Lord has given to, and done for us! Shame on us for complaining about our circumstances, whining that we don’t have it as good as the heathen next door, and not thanking the Lord that he has saved our worthless souls (worthless as of ourselves, only worth something under the covering of the righteousness of Christ.) and for our eternal inheritance!

Lord help us to be ever mindful of you, and reject the vanity of this world! (Ecclesiastes 1:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!