Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sisters…Oh How Sweet!

 

sisters 3

Sisters are a great blessing from the Lord! Do we take them for granted? Are we being the sisters we ought?

As the oldest girl in my family, I feel an immense burden to be a better… yea, even the best  sister ever! I was thinking that the number one duty we have to our siblings is to love the Lord and strive to be like Christ. In this way only, with the Lord’s help, can we even hope to be a half way good sister.

I do not like many of today’s books on how to be a good sister (and brother), for the simple reason that they aren’t really practical for all people. (one that I do like however, is “Joyfully at Home” by Jasmine Baucham)We need to look at the Bible to know how to be (or not to be) good, God-honouring siblings. Think about Joseph’s brothers, think about Moses, Aaron, and Miriam, think about David and his brothers or David’s sons. There are also simple yet powerful verses to guide you:

“And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.” 1Peter 4:8

“Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.” Proverbs 15:17

“A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.” Proverbs 18:19

“But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” Matthew 5:22

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;  Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.” 1Colossians 13:4-8

“Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.” Proverbs 13:10

“But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth? Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother’s son.” Psalm 50:16,20

I had to comment on this one, HOW DARE YOU!, God is saying, Take my Words in your wicked mouth when you do such an evil thing as speak slanderously of your brother!!!! Speaking slanderously is to speak in order to damage another’s reputation. Back to other verses:

“And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.” Matthew 7:3-5

“Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.” Proverbs 22:10

Cast the scorner out of yourself… your parents would, most likely, get in trouble if they threw you out (have they ever wished they could because you cause SO much contention? For shame!) so we must take the responsibility of creating peace by ridding ourselves of scorn.

“And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” Ephesians 4:32

“And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.” Matthew 18:34-35 (yikes!)

“A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24

Do you want your siblings as friends, or enemies? (ummm… you should want them as friends… is that the scorner speaking “I don’t want HER {him} for a friend!”) Then, just as you are, or should be friendly toward other people you want for friends, you should be friendly to your siblings.

“And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.” Colossians 3:14

“Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.” Matthew 5:23-24

NOW… back to sisters:

I have three! I love them dearly. I prayed many a long year for them. Then the Lord blessed me with three in a row! YAY!!!! They are all VERY different from each other. It has been/is an adventure getting to know each one.

Bethany and I are 14 years apart, she is the closest sister to my age. She just turned 6 in April! She is finally getting to the point were we can truly discuss things :) Yes, I do discuss things with her. Ha! Ha! She is the spunky little sister, and yet she is the most generous girl you could possibly ever know! She has blond hair and the brownest eyes ever! She likes wearing her tiered denim skirt and an orange shirt. She and I like to giggle together,  play dollhouse, weed the gardens, fold the laundry (after all, the Bible says Two are better than one!) and she loves being my partner at the grocery store. I remember when she was born, the very first time that she opened her sweet little eyes… oh how precious! I will continually thank the Lord for her!

 

flowe arranging

Brigitta is 4, and is the girly girl. She LOVES dress up, especially shoes, and hair bows. She has wavy brown hair, (the only hair with body in our family) and brown eyes. She likes to dress in her prettiest, frilliest and most full-skirted dress. She is sweet and VERY quite most all of the time (I forgot to say Bethany is a TALKER!) She likes to dance to music with me, pick flowers and play princess. It was such a surprise at her ultrasound (well mom’s anyway) ANOTHER GIRL! Then to see how different she is from my dear Bethany Pearl! I rejoice in the Lord for my little Brigitta Opal!

tea lil girls

And last but definitely not least- Bellhannah Ruby! She is an adorable 2 year old with a truck load of energy! She has blond hair and grayish blue eyes. She is newly potty trained and is the most cheerful of the girls. So much so, in fact, that people who meet her, end up calling her sunshine or smiley after a short time with her! She loves to dance and sing “Amazing Grace” 1 million times a day (almost literally!) She likes to suck her thumb and rub my arm (or the arm of whoever is holding her). She likes to say “guess what?” and when you say “what?” she replies “your cute”. She is a blessing to be around and really cheers the day… even the cloudiest rainy ones! Thank you Lord for my sweet little Bell!

garden_memories read me a story mamma So, all these girls look to me for their example… How do I measure up? I utterly fail a lot of the time to set for them the example I should, but with the Lord’s help, I am striving to do better. I must be Kind, Charitable, Longsuffering, Forbearing, Patient, Forgiving, Loving, Joyful, Enduring, Humble, Meek, etc. I must not, get easily angered or provoked, or be scornful, selfish, prideful, unmerciful, rude etc. I must be feminine for my sisters to see what a lady is. I must be devoted to the Lord and content with my lot. LORD HELP ME!

Do you have little sisters? Older sisters? No sisters at all? If you have little sisters let the law of kindness be in your tongue and be humble and meek toward them. Do not act as if they are less than you, for they are not. If you have older sisters, listen to them, understand that they are older, that they have greater responsibility for being older,and that they did not choose to be the oldest! Treat one another as you want to be treated! If a girl has no sisters in the blood, then be a sister in the Blood! If you have no sisters be encouraged to know that the Lord gives you Sisters in another way! Treat one another with respect, love and kindness just as “real” sisters should. Encourage ALL kinds of sisters in the things of God. Do not share what they confide in you with others. It is disgraceful to be part of “the grapevine”.

I am thankful for the sisters the Lord has given me in my church! Mrs. Unger, a sweet mother of 5 who encourages me all the time to obey my parents and be kindly affectioned toward my siblings. Sarah, a lovely young wife, who encourages me  in the Lord, sending me something almost daily! Emma, a cheerful, bubbly, girl of 10 who I can encourage, and be an older sister to, as she has only one, who is one :) Speaking of which Abigail is a sunny baby that I look forward to watching grow, and being able to encourage too!

I have other sisters in Christ too, that are not in my church that I thank the Lord for too! I will not list them, but I am truly thankful for them!

Let us strive to be more like Christ in our sisterly relationships!

 

“She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.” Proverbs 31:26

maidens of virtue

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!