Monday, May 16, 2011

There is A Fountain Filled With Blood! Halleluiah!

 

There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel's veins;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.
Lose all their guilty stains, lose all their guilty stains;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.


The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day;
And there have I, though vile as he, washed all my sins away.
Washed all my sins away, washed all my sins away;
And there have I, though vile as he, washed all my sins away.


Dear dying Lamb, Thy precious blood shall never lose its power
Till all the ransomed church of God be saved, to sin no more.
Be saved, to sin no more, be saved, to sin no more;
Till all the ransomed church of God be saved, to sin no more.

When this poor lisping, stammering tongue lies silent in the grave,
Then in a nobler, sweeter song, I’ll sing Thy power to save. I’ll sing Thy power to save, I’ll sing Thy power to save;
Then in a nobler, sweeter song, I’ll sing Thy power to save.

E'er since, by faith, I saw the stream Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be till I die.
And shall be till I die, and shall be till I die;
Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be till I die.


*William Cowper

220px-William_Cowper_by_Lemuel_Francis_Abbott

What a glorious hymn! What a merciful Saviour we have! Thank you, oh LORD, for the precious Blood that you spilled for your saints. Help us to NEVER, NO NEVER! forget or take for granted your de-merited favour!  This hymn is one of my MANY favourites! William Cowper was an amazing poet and lyricist! Praise the Lord for the talent He gives to some men, that we may benefit from!

*William Cowper, 1731–1800

This hymn text was written by English writer, William Cowper, whose emotional life was one of great turmoil. At an early age he was directed by his father to study law. Upon completion of his studies, however, the prospect of appearing for his final examination before the bar so frightened him that it caused a mental breakdown and an attempted suicide. Later he was placed in an insane asylum for eighteen months. During this detention, he read one day from the Scriptures the passage in Romans 3:25 that Jesus Christ is “set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.” Through his reading of the Bible, Cowper soon developed a personal relationship with Christ and a sense of forgiveness of sin. This was in 1764, when he was thirty-three years old.

Three years later, Cowper was invited to move to Olney, England, where John Newton pastored the parish Anglican Church. It was here for nearly two decades that Newton and Cowper had a close personal friendship. In 1799 their combined talents produced the famous Olney Hymns hymnal. In this collection of 349 hymns, sixty-seven were written by Cowper and the remainder by Newton.

“There Is a Fountain” was originally titled “Peace for the Fountain Opened.” The hymn is based on the Old Testament text, Zechariah 13:1—“In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and uncleanness.

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog today, and I love it! Just reading through was so uplifting and encouraging to me! Thank you so much! Amen to everything said! Our Father is so merciful and gracious to us. I'm so glad He led us to meet each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Esther! I too thank and praise the Lord for His guiding our paths in such a way that they crossed! Amen that our God is so merciful and gracious! Love you little sister! The Lord be with you and cause His face to shine upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too! :) Lord be with you guys!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!