Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hope, Believe & Endure!

Part 7, Forgotten Sins

1. Backbiting: The action of detracting, slandering, or speaking ill of one behind his back.

“Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,” Romans 1:30

“A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.” Proverbs 6:19

“A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.” Proverbs 11:13

“He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.” Proverbs 20:19

“The north wind driveth away rain: so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.” Proverbs 25:23

“Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth. As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.” Proverbs 26:20-21

“For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.” 2 Corinthians 12:20-21

2.Slander:The utterance or dissemination of false statements or reports concerning a
person, or malicious misrepresentation of his actions, in order to defame or injure him;
calumny, defamation. 

A. Calumny:  False and malicious misrepresentation of the words
or actions of others, calculated to injure their reputation; libellous detraction, slander.  A false charge or imputation, intended to damage another’s reputation; a slanderous report.

B. Defamation:  The bringing of ill fame or  dishonour  upon  any one;  disgrace, shame.  The action of defaming, or  attacking any one’s good fame; the fact of being defamed or slandered

“He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.” Proverbs 10:18

“And the men, which Moses sent to search the land, who returned, and made all the congregation to murmur against him, by bringing up a slander upon the land,” Numbers 14:36

“And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men’s words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt? Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD’S anointed. Moreover, my father, see, yea, see the skirt of thy robe in my hand: for in that I cut off the skirt of thy robe, and killed thee not, know thou and see that there is neither evil nor transgression in mine hand, and I have not sinned against thee; yet thou huntest my soul to take it. The LORD judge between me and thee, and the LORD avenge me of thee: but mine hand shall not be upon thee. As saith the proverb of the ancients, Wickedness proceedeth from the wicked: but mine hand shall not be upon thee. After whom is the king of Israel come out? after whom dost thou pursue? after a dead dog, after a flea. The LORD therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of thine hand.” 1 Samuel 24:9-15

“For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life.” Psalm 31:13

“Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother’s son.” Psalm 50:20

“Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.” Psalm 101:5

“And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.” Romans 3:8

“Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.” 1 Timothy 3:11

3. Talebearing:The carrying of injurious or malicious reports.

A. Talebearer:  One who officiously carries reports of private matters to gratify malice or idle curiosity.

Officiously:  In an unduly forward or obtrusive manner; with importunate forwardness without being asked or required; gratuitously.  (As opposed to officially: Informally on the part of authority or its agents.)  

“Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.” Leviticus 19:16

“A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.” Proverbs 11:13

“He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.” Proverbs 17:9

“The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.” Proverbs 18:8

“He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.” Proverbs 20:19

“Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth. As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife. The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.” Proverbs 26:20-22

4. Whispering: The action of saying or reporting something quietly or secretly; suggestion or insinuation (by whispered speech);  faint  mention  or  rumour;  esp. malicious insinuation, secret slander or detraction, backbiting.

“Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:” Romans 1:29-31

“For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.” 2 Corithians 12:20-21

“All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt.” Psalm 41:7

“A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.” Proverbs 16:28

5. Evil Surmising: An allegation, charge, imputation;  esp. a false, unfounded, or unproved charge or allegation; conjecturing or suspecting evil of another.

“He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,” 1 Timothy 6:4

“Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

These sins are too easy to fall into! We should not be prone to think the worst about any person or situation. We should be trustworthy, and cover the sins of our brothers. We should think and speak no evil about our brother.We should hate to fault others in there absence, not love it as the world does! We should not tell false information to turn others against another. That is slander. Slander can be easily committed by slighting twisting the events, the tone, the motives, or the degree of others’ actions. Even if the information is true, we should not spread it around! Everything we say about another person should be positive, edifying, and helpful. There is no need or room for criticism! Gossiping is sinful and should be removed from our speech. It is harmful to relationships, and causes disunity and strife in the church. Lord give me good thoughts about others and a critical eye that is sensitive only to the good in others!

three young ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!