Wednesday, February 8, 2012

You Are Invited to a Banquet!

cornucopia

Many years ago, (I think it was 2001 I don’t remember the exact date) my parents sat me and my siblings (then there were only 3 of us!) down in the living room.

45732818261_ORIG

the B’s in April 2001(not the date of told happening but it is the very couch we sat on during this and the one we still have!)

They proceeded to tell us very excitedly that they had an invitation to give to each of us. They handed each of us an envelope with our name on it, beautifully written in attractive, blue ink calligraphy by my mother. They told us to open our envelopes at the same time.

We each tore open our envelope, excitedly anticipating and wondering what it was we should find… What it was we were invited to! Pulling out the invitation revealed a white card with a cornucopia adorning the top of it and words in bold, black type that read:

“You are invited to a banquet!”

Oh what excited glances we gave each other as we awaited permission to look inside! What, oh what could the banquet be for and who was inviting us to it?! Dad told us to open our cards and he told one of us (I don’t remember which of us kids) to read the invitation aloud:

“Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars: She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table. She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city, Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him, Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled. Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.”

Proverbs 9:1-6

After the reading dad explained that this was the most bountiful feast we could ever be invited to partake of and the most beautiful woman had invited us to it. We had a choice: We could lavishly dine at Lady Wisdom’s table or reject her for our own vomit (Proverbs 26:11) We sat, the then 3 B’s, and quietly listened to him tell of this exciting invitation to a banquet. At first I think I was a bit disappointed (I was a foolish girl of 10) This wasn’t a “real” invitation, I thought. But how wrong that little girl was! It is a very real invitation! Every day we make a choice to eat and drink at this abundant table or reject it to wallow in the mire!

When they, my parents, had finished inviting us to this marvelous feast, they presented each of us with our daily food, our banquet, a King James Bible! I still have that green (my favourite color) Bible sitting on my desk, with my invitation to the feast inside. It reminds me of that night and of my father and mother’s solemn instructions to the boys and me. Now I would like to tell you something:

You are invited to a Banquet!

Will you come?!

I praise and thank the Lord for giving me such God-fearing parents who wanted and continue to train their children, even at a young age, to seek Him early! To follow after Him! To reject the folly and vanity of this world and love and seek the Wisdom and riches that are from above! Thank you Lord for my parents! Thank you dad and mom for loving your children so much that you sacrifice(d) yourself daily to train your children in the Way they should go! I pray that none of us will EVER depart from it!

8045732572062_ORIG

June 2001

Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures. They are pictures taken with my phone of the originals. Back then we didn’t have a digital camera :)

9 comments:

  1. What a great memory! And a great way for your parents to have taught you when you were young. Thank you for sharing. :)
    P.S. I use my phone to take pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear daughter,

    Although I am sure you have graciously embellished the details, I am grateful the intent was understood. You have shown that you took those lessons to heart. I commend you for your diligence in heeding the instructions of your father & mother.

    Love,
    Your father

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your comments!
    Mrs. McRae: I'm glad I'm not the only one :)
    Mom: Love you! and Amen! The Lord be praised!
    Dad: Thank you very much, dear father! I love you and thank the Lord for blessing me with diligent parents!

    Thank you again for all of your comments! THey are such an encouragement to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brytni,

    Very nice and refreshing blog. I love the wonderful personification of wisdom in Proverbs. The LORD's poetry is the best. What a Lady He describes! My favorite chapter in the Bible is the one before your parent's banquet invitation - Proverbs chapter 8. That the LORD offers us the same wisdom that He used to create the world and set His laws upon it, is beyond words. WOW! I love your spirit and commitment. He is able to keep that which you have committed unto Him against that day (from II Tim 1:12). Never lose your zeal. You are the richest girl in Missouri.

    Jeff & Rhonda Ohly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much Mrs. Ohly! May the Lord get all the glory from any words typed here! I love Proverbs 8 too! Praise the Lord for His tender mercies and gifts to us, His unprofitable servants. Your encouraging comment is such a blessing to me! May the Lord bless you 100 fold for your kindness to one of His children. I am so thankful for my parents, and for you and all the brethren He has given me!
    Love,
    Brytni
    P.s. I love the hymn that was penned with that verse from 1 Timothy in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I 'm sorry! I just saw that your comment said Mr. Ohly's name too! I want to thank you both! THANK YOU! Again, sorry for my oversight :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear sister Brytni Jade, another one of the King's daughter,

    I am so blessed to read what you have written in your blog, especially refreshing because it was written by a very young sister; your parents evidence the conscious awareness that their children's greatest good can be realized only in saving union with Christ and that their surpassing duty in this life is to work our their salvation by cultivating the graces and virtues of christian character which is personify in the lady wisdom. I too am a Proverbs lover, and I thank you for your sharing. God bless your heart and your life furnish a perpetual exhibition of living, glowing and persevering zeal that brings smiles to our Father in Heaven and the saints on earth.

    I am a sister in Christ from Penang, Malaysia. I read about visiting your blog via brother Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sister Alice,

    Thank you so very much for your kind and encouraging words! I love all those who love my Lord, and so I love you! I pray that the Lord will bless you for this "cup of cold water" you gave to one of His children! I pray that you are lifted up in Christ, and that we can serve Him faithfully together! I am so thankful for these witty inventions that allow us to communicate with and encourage brothers who are miles away! Thank you for taking time to comment!I am so humbled that any would take time to write me a message. The Lord is good! I pray that He blesses you for your sweet and charitable heart toward His saints!

    Love for you in and through Christ,
    Brytni

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!