Friday, March 16, 2012

Do You Talk to the Lord?

 

“Pray without ceasing.”

1 Thessalonians 5:17

I like to talk. Do you? I can talk to anybody, including myself! We tell people about our troubles, our blessings, our good times and bad, our struggles, our triumphs, etc. We might even say we are thankful to the Lord for such-and-such or we hope the Lord will help us with so-and-so. But do we take our praises and complaints to Him? Do we talk to Him? Yes, it is true that He knows before hand what we need or what we are thankful for, but that doesn’t negate our duties to Him.

1stly we should praise Him! Thank Him verbally, not just in front of others, but privately to “just” Him. If someone gave us a gift would we tell everyone else but them how thankful we are for it? Would we think “Oh, they know that I am thankful to them.” Well, maybe sometimes we do, but that isn’t right! We would (or should) thank our benefactor. Well, in the same way, for the same reasons, (except amplified because He has done WAY more for us than anyone else has/could/can do) we should thank Him “to His face”.

Then there are our cares and complaints… He tells us to cast our cares on Him. He cares for us and we can show Him our faith and trust in Him by telling Him our troubles. David gives us many great examples in the Psalms of both praising and “complaining” to the Lord. Did God not know what David was thankful for or worried about before hand? Of course He knew! Did that stop David from telling the Lord? NO!

Thirdly, if we are still thinking we aren’t obliged to take all to the Lord in prayer, we are commanded to! That’s right COMMANDED! He demands our prayers! Look at the verse quoted above, it doesn’t sound like a suggestion to me. Here are some more verses about prayer:

“Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.” James 5:13

“Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” James 5:16

“I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.” 1 Timothy 2:8

“Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;” Colossians 4:2

There are so many verses about prayer that I’ll only quote these few. here are a few praises and cares of David’s for examples. Notice the first is a prayer that the Lord will hear his prayer!:

“Hear my prayer, O LORD, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me, and in thy righteousness.” Psalm 143:1

“Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.” Psalm 40:5 –Amen!

“Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.” Psalm 17:7

“Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise. For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem. Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.” Psalm 51

I had to put the whole of Psalm 51 here. I love it! What an example of prayer! There is confession, repentance, requests and praises! Notice that David tells the Lord what the Lord requires (behold Thou desirest…). You might think that silly and unnecessary at first, but it reminds me of when in the military someone is given orders, they repeat back what they have been ordered so their officer knows they understand and got the message! Brilliant! David was wise, we would do well to emulate him.

Let us pray without ceasing brothers and sisters! It truly is sweet, as the favourite hymn of a friend of mine says!

Sweet Hour of Prayer

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare,
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
May I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
I view my home and take my flight.
This robe of flesh I’ll drop, and rise
To seize the everlasting prize,
And shout, while passing through the air,
“Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!

William W. Walford –1845

study and pray

4 comments:

  1. The Lord be glorified! Thank you for your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings a smile to my face reminding me of B3's comment about B6's precise and detailed dinner prayer..."pray without ceasing, and in everything give thanks." May our lips be ever filled with praise and thanksgiving, and may we cast all of our cares upon our the LORD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that was great! B6 is so cute and B3's cheery response to her long-windedness was sweet. I am so thankful for my younger siblings! They make every day an adventure! Brady's cheerfulness has always been a blessing to me! He knows how to make everyone feel comfortable and happy and he can solve conflict very well! Praise the Lord for my family!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!