Tuesday, April 10, 2012

He Died for me!

 

“But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.”

Isaiah 53:5

Today I was thinking about this verse in Isaiah, and remembering a practical & physical example and lesson that my parents gave to me and my brothers, exemplifying Christ’s advocating for us before the Righteous Judge. (Yes, another lesson for the 3 B’s :) )

It was about 11-12 years ago… I cannot now remember our transgression, but I do remember that we were found out, tried, guilty and sentenced to the rod. We were all in on whatever it was, so all three of us were going to be punished.

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”

Romans 3:23

Then, just as we thought the first of us would be called up to “get it” dad told us that he was going to take our punishment. Our sin could not be dismissed, but he was willing to pay the penalty of it for us. Though he was guiltless in the sin, he was going to be wounded for it (remember the verse above?)

I think that was the first, and probably the only time, that my “heart was in my throat”. Before our punishment was administered upon him, dad explained how this was a figure of what the Lord Jesus Christ had already done for us. But His sacrifice of self was perfect and absolute. We were complete sinners. We were condemned to die. He was sinless. Perfectly sinless. Yet, he humbled Himself to the death of the cross, and was obedient to the Father even unto death. He couldn’t just ask the Lord the Just Judge, to overlook our sin, someone had to pay…

At first I didn’t think mom was really going to spank dad like we got spanked, but she did. And I believe that was one of the most affective punishments ever (for me anyway)! I would much rather have taken that spanking myself than see my dad get it when he had not done anything wrong, I had.

Of course this isn’t a perfect example, but it really cemented in my young mind the gravity of sin and joy of salvation. It helped me to understand the concept of intercession and mediator-ship. It made it easier for me to understand too what it feels like to have someone you love punished for another’s sins. We cannot justify ourselves. We cannot pay for our sins. Jesus Christ is the only Way, the only Truth and the only Life! It is only through Him that we can be with the Father! He has covered us in His righteousness! With His stripes we are healed!

He died for me!

Thank you once again dad and mom for a lesson that I pray had an affect on all three of us. We have SO much to be thankful for and we have so much to worship the Lord for. But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world!

Cutler's in Zearing

7 comments:

  1. "Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!" (Psalm 31:19, KJV)
    I am continually amazed at the LORD's goodness toward us, the sons of peace! Thank you, Brytni, thank you, LORD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an inspirational post, Brytni!!!!
    Love, love the picture!

    Your friend,
    Kaylee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Kaylee! May the Lord be glorified! Glad you liked the photo :) It is so funny to think that is 1/2 of the family I have now!!!

    Thank you for commenting :)

    Your Sister,
    Brytn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! The "i" didn't get on the end of my name! ;) *Brytni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Brytni,
    I am nominating you for The Versatile Blogger Award. To read what you need to do, you can go here: http://awindowintomyworld.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/the-versatile-blogger-award/
    Here is the link to get the blog button: http://versatilebloggeraward.wordpress.com/blog-button/
    Please note: this award is completly optional and you do not have to accept.
    Thank you so much for your lovely blog and please keep up the good work!
    In Christ,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, my dear and sweet friend Allison, for thinking of me :)I am honoured that you would award my blog in such a way! I am not sure that I can find any one else to nominate, but I will tell you 7 random things about myself, just for fun :) (That is if I can think of 7)
    1. My favourite verse at this moment is Revelation 1:14
    2. My favourite hymn is "Wondrous King all Glorious"
    3. My favourite female character in the Bible would be either Jael or Abigail
    4.My favourite male characters in the Bible are Moses, Joseph and Paul
    5.Kittens are one of my favourite animals in God's creation
    6. My family and I like to sing EVERYWHERE! We have sung in a "pod" on the way up into the STL arch, in a cave, around campfires, etc.
    7. I like the book "Marriage to a Difficult Man"
    :) Hope that was okay... Again, Thank you for your kind words and action concerning my blog, sister.
    Love,
    Brytni

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!