Here it goes!...
What Is Character?
- The traits that define or describe a person.
- What you are other than biological factors.
- The conduct that makes up your reputation.
- The code of conduct that rules most actions.
- The discipline and defaults for what you do.
How Is It Measured?
- Your family does not count – they are biased.
- But God's judgment is perfect – and in writing!
- And other good men count – they tell the truth.
- Also by fruit, friends, results, position, or praise.
- We measure prospective spouses by a chart. (Rate a Date: Women & Rate a Date: Men)
How Does It Affect Me?
- Men count on character for jobs and businesses.
- Friends seek character for pleasure and safety.
- Marriage, young person, depends greatly on it.
- Any testimony for Jesus or truth depends on it.
- Safety, peace, joy, and prosperity depend on it.
Is It Important?
- The concept, but not the word, is in the Bible.
- A good name is put above wealth (Prov 22:1).
- God saved you to be like His Son (Rom 8:29).
- Offence is against your calling (I Cor 10:31-33).
- A good one glorifies God and defends the truth.
It Has Competitors
- The world wants you to worry about your IQ.
- Or how well you do in sports. Can you believe it?
- Or how well you do in business.
- Or whether you are attractive or not.
- Or how popular you are with worldlings.
You Can Change It
- Your goal and plan should be to improve it.
- To grow … in favor with God and man.
- To grow … in grace and the knowledge of Christ.
- To increase … more and more as Paul wrote.
- To perfect … that which is lacking in your life.
Hear God's Word
"The good man is perished out of the earth: and there is none upright among men: they all lie in wait for blood; they hunt every man his brother with a net."
"Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?"
"He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me."
Men with godly Character:
"These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."
"And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?"
"And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favour both with the LORD, and also with men."
I Samuel 2:26
"Then the princes of the Philistines went forth: and it came to pass, after they went forth, that David behaved himself more wisely than all the servants of Saul; so that his name was much set by."
I Samuel 18:30
"Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium."
Areas of Character
• Spiritual • Marital • Relational • Parental • Professional • Financial • Personal • Physical • National • Social
- The subject is very broad and beyond one study.
- Everything you think, say, or do is your character.
- You should think about it always and everywhere.
- As men, as pastor, we must remind one another.
- For a reminder, here are the "C's" of character.
Now Let's Get Started!!!
To see the original slides from Let God Be True, Click