Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Because of a Muffin?


“The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.”
Proverbs 19:11

I have been reading an interesting biography about George Frederic Handel and today as I read the last two chapters something jumped out at me. It is a lesson on what can happen if we are unwilling to forgive the small, or smaller than small, personal offences of others…

Handel’s friend, Sir Hans Sloane, was a thrifty man and a collector of priceless books. Handel loved him and they were very good friends. However, one day, in a thoughtless moment in the midst of conversation, Handel sat a buttered muffin on the cover of one of Sir Hans’ treasured books, which he held in his hand. After a painful silence ensued Handel asked forgiveness for his thoughtless action… Sir Hans refused to accept the apology and the friendship ended, never to be renewed. The buttered muffin had terminated the welcome that Handel had always before possessed.

Now, before we start shaking our heads in disgust for Sir Hans’ action, let us examine ourselves. How many times have we allowed a personal offense come between a family member and us or a friend and ourselves? The Lord Jesus Christ condemned such hardness of hearts, such selfishness, self-centeredness, & love of self! He warned us of what would happen if we continued in our stubbornness to hold bitterness in our hearts and refuse to forgive.

Let us forgive and forget the buttered muffins of others…
“But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”
Matthew 6:15

10MuffinButter

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I hadn't heard that story before. I know for me it's always easy for me to bring up "my buttered muffins" again. Thanks for the sweet reminder, dear!

    Kaylee~

    P.S. I just checked out your new blog! What a neat idea!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Kaylee! Amen! It is too easy to hold a grudge, and sometimes not even know you are! LORD help us to forgive as you have forgiven us so much! I am glad that you stopped by my class blog :)

    Your comments are always a source of great encouragement dear! Thank you so much!
    Love,
    Brytni

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is true... things like that, buttered muffins, are allowed to ruin evenings, friendships and lives. In light of eternity, what did the muffin matter? I wonder if he realized that the muffin did not matter- his friend did.


    I agree wholeheartedly.... I must forgive and forget the buttered muffins of others.

    Thank you for posting this, Brytni. Blessings in Christ! ~ Faith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment Faith! Yes, a lack of forgiveness has ruined many a life and friendship... so sad. Let us not be guilty of the same foolish pride and arrogancy that causes such grudges to be held in the first place...

    Again, thank you for your comment, it's truly a blessing to get encouragement from my readers :)

    The LORD be with & bless you too,
    Brytni

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for the time you take to read!